With a focus on developing a strong sense of belonging amongst students, staff and families, our care resources are underpinned by an individualised commitment to make sure that each child is getting the most from their education and enjoying their learning journey.
Resources available for our international students include:
- Academic Advisor, a teacher with a background in International Studies who counsels our students with respect to study requirements and subject selections. This includes advice on subject selections from Years 8 – 12 leading to achieving high scores
- Advice on the International Baccalaureate Program
- Careers and Tertiary Entrance Specialist who advises our students on the subjects required to gain their sought admission status to tertiary courses in Australian and International Universities
- Accommodation and Welfare Coordinator who is available 24 hours a day to support each student, plus work with Homestay parents as needed.
- Full time Student Counsellor (non-teaching).
- Year Level Coordinators.
- Professional teachers
- Pastoral care
- Close monitoring of student academic progress
- Liaison with parents via written reports and personal interviews by travelling Mercedes College staff whilst overseas
- Individualised programmes for students
- Comprehensive literacy and numeracy support
- Organisation of private tuition in school holidays if required
- Specialised tutorials by old scholars who have received top academic awards
- Special visits to all the Universities
- Specialised workshops focussing on subject specific skills
Our Welfare and Accommodation Coordinator supports students –
- on arrival in Adelaide
- visa advice
- medical insurance
- Homestay placement and assistance
- day to day pastoral care
- excursions and social club activities.
With a nurse on campus to assist with minor medical ailments, we also have established relationships with a wide variety of medical practitioners who respond quickly to student needs as required.
Most general health costs (excluding pharmaceuticals and specialist services) are covered by Australian Government insurance for overseas students.
Our Coordinator of Student Accommodation and Welfare or Homestay Coordinator arrange appointments and transport to medical appointments if/as needed.
Our International Student office provides each student with an extensive and supportive induction and orientation to Australia, Adelaide and Mercedes College.
In addition, we have a range of activities and services to assist International Students including representation on our Student Representative Council (SRC) and World Culture Club where international students together with local students promote cultural awareness within the school and local community.
International Student leadership is promoted by membership to the World Culture Club. In fulfilling key roles in this leadership association, International Students become a part of our wider school student leadership group and representative body for their peers at Mercedes College.
CRICOS Code: 00365D